When: Monday, February 6th to Monday, March 6th
Details: This will be 30 Days of FOCUS and SELF-COMMITMENT.
- Cut out all of the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days.
- Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing.
- Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects (stomach issues, skin problems like eczema or acne, sleeping issues, stress issues, etc.) of the food choices you’ve been making.
- Learn, once and for all, how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health.
Guidelines: We will follow a Paleo-ish approach to nutrition focusing on large amounts of vegetables with as much variety as possible, lean sources of nutrient-rich animal protein, and healthy fats. There will be some exceptions for vegetarians, including tofu (Non-GMO, Organic).
- Proteins: Meat, poultry, seafood, pork, eggs (please eat the whole egg, the yolks are the most nutrient-dense part!) Organic grass-fed dairy may be acceptable based on your body type and physique goals (use in moderation).
***Always opt for Organic, Grass-fed meat, and wild-caught seafood, as well as pasture-raised eggs. Otherwise, you will be consuming gross hormones and chemicals which are never helpful in a nutrition challenge! Again, Non-GMO Organic protein is approved.
- Carbohydrates: Vegetables, Fruit, Beans, Potatoes*, Plain Rice*, Quinoa*, Raw Oats* *These carbohydrates should be consumed primarily in the window immediately before and after training when the body will quickly burn high glycemic carbs instead of storing them. Eating theses carbohydrates will also depend on your current body type and physique goals.
- Fats: Nuts, Seeds, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Avocado
Organic, local, grass-fed dairy and whole fat greek yogurt is OK in moderation (2-3 times/week).***The rule of thumb here is EAT WHOLE FOODS! Focus on filling your diet with nutrient-dense REAL food. Your food should have very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or no ingredients listed at all.
Foods to avoid:
- Sugar – maple syrup, agave nectar, Splenda, granulated sugar, molasses, aspartame etc. This means absolutely no sodas, sweet tea, diet sodas, fruit juices, and the like.
- Processed Food – Anything packaged in a factory with extra, not natural ingredients. Most things in a package have added ingredients so stay away. Things like protein bars (aka glorified candy bars) are off limits. There are some bars that have only a few natural ingredients that are okay for the challenge, but most protein bars are just like eating a candy bar. If it has a long list of ingredients you can’t pronounce then stay away. For this challenge, we are going to say that whey protein and other powders are okay. Please ask me (Rachel at BPF) to read the ingredients if you are unsure about them!
- Unhealthy Oils – vegetable oil, canola, corn, soybeans, peanut oil etc. Also, avoid any type of fried foods during the challenge.
- Alcohol – Yes, alcohol in any form…
- For those of you who wish to follow a Macros-based plan, you can calculate a general template of your macros using the following website: https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
Below is a chart to help you keep track of the challenge for the 30 days: